Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Life, The Universe, Everything: 42

(The title is a tribute to Douglas Adams' Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy)

The outcome of last week: I baked a'plenty, shot fairly well, and ran a whopping 42 miles (Hence the title) - with 10 of those being on Sunday. I'm trying to run at least 7 miles a day - does the word insane come to mind? (Hey, if i'm going to bake, I have to counteract it with running - and the running helps my shooting, too.)

The Baking consisted of the Mocha Rum Cake and the Coffee Crumb Cake - which you already saw - a Lemon Layer Cake, and a French Apple Cake. '

The Lemon Layer cake was very, very good - although as it's the third time I've made it, it'd better be good. I went a little bit overboard on the lemon rind, though - hence, the lemon filling wasn't as good as it should have been.

But the cake as a whole, was delicious. The only thing topping its taste was how well I decorated it.

Behold, one of my few bouts of Creativity:

And a view from the top:



It was just as good as it looked.


Insofar as the French Apple Cake, though, I'll admit I was rather disappointed. It didn't flip out of the pan nearly as well as it should've, and the mernigue on top did not help it very much. The apples were spiced very well with Cinnamon and nutmeg, but overall, it could've been alot better.
Behold - the Merngiue-y French Apple Cake:




Next time I get my hands on apples (Tonight, anyone?), I'll just make the Tarte Tatin with Pate Brisee and Creme Fraiche (I love the french language - makes me feel like a real baker! =P )

And continuing with this week...


The Beginning of this week: I baked a little, worked a little (switched to part time, thank goodness), and I get two days off before school starts - Yay!


So, on my first day off in who knows how long, I go visit my previous work, and my previous (spectacular) boss, Linda.


It was great - I'd forgotten how much I loved that place.


I'd meant to make that Tarte Tatin last night, and bring it in for them, but I was tired. So, I'll make that tonight, and maybe make a Chocolate dessert too, just for Linda - a chocolate lover after my own heart. ;)


If all works out, I will have two days to put my cookbooks (and my kitchen) to good use.


And now, it's time for a long-awaited nap, before more shooting, running, and baking this afternoon.


No comments:

Post a Comment