Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Espresso: The Ambrosia of Baking

While the effect of the side effects of consuming espresso late in the evening are still out with the Jury, the overall effect of espresso while baking has come back positive: large amounts of caffiene assists baking - in a good way. Unfortunately, I discovered this too late - my cake was already baked, and I was too lazy to make a pot. Ah well - next time.

As for this time, only my decorating skills have suffered. Just enjoy it with your eyes closed.

Responding to the previous blog, the Marble Birthday Cake was interesting - flavor wasn't bad, but it was a little too dense for my taste. The Butter Frosting was supurb, though - perhaps a bit too thick, but that's easily fixed next time. Overall, everyone that tasted it enjoyed it - maybe I'm just being a little critical. But if no one else is going to criticize my baking, the responsibility falls on me - right??

Tonight's Escapade: Italian Wedding Cake (More commonly known as an Italian Creme Cake)

A dense, moist, pecan and coconut goodness of a cake. The crumbs I got were good, at least - we'll find out tomorrow.

Behold, the Highly-Pecan-y Cake (From two angles):



Three whole layers - lots of fun.

And before I forget, many many kudos to Andrea, a co-worker who suggested this - we all shall bow down to her impeccable taste. Providing I have a good representation of it here.

Notes for the future:

Put more icing between the layers - I had tons left after i'd finished, and with the nuts, it's impossible to decorate with.

If going to decorate with pecans again, be sure to glaze/carmelize them beforehand. This will probably end up making the entire cake taste better.

Next week: I've no idea. I'll have to go searching for recipes again.... And I'll get back to you on the taste of this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment