Saturday, August 18, 2007

Baking: The Ambrosia of Life

But it has drastic effects on my waistline. .... Or rather, my flimsy excuse for one.

But behold! I come bearing gifts - Photos and reviews of the previous baking escapades.

Wednesday's dessert, the Italian Wedding/Creme Cake, was supurb. It may be dense, but it was oh so moist. Delicious. I'm *definitely* keeping that recipe. Note for the future: grind up the pecans in the icing better.

And a quick summary of the week, as of Friday: I ate to much, and was too hard on my poor shin. I baked enough. I almost ran enough (26 miles and counting - 8 on Thursday alone), didn't sleep nearly enough, and was gifted with two new cookbooks - the baking amount will increase. And the best part: it's 11:45PM and I still need to take a shower. Yes, I know I'm unbelieveably brilliant.

But, as I stated, I recieved two new cookbooks, as a sort of thanks-for-staying-and-putting-up-with-us from my three female co-workers - I was estatic. My first very own cookbooks!! For baking recipes nonetheless.

So, being the person I am, I run home, and start baking.

I begin with a Chocolate Mocha Rum Cake. A brilliant friend of mine forgot to tell me that his Dad's birthday was at the end of July - so I made a cake for him a little late. And, if that friend of mine is lucky, he'll be home early enough to try a piece, too.

The cake is a Wow, though - and that's only from tasting the frosting. Let's hope the flavors don't conflict too much - it's not sweet, but with coffee, chocolate and rum - I don't know which flavor will dominate, and take the cake (pardon the pun ;) ).

But here's a picture: (I'm going to shoot my camera if it gives me any more cruddy pictures like this... )



Hopefully, it will be delicious.

It's 9PM at night, and after I finish the cake, I remember that I need to bake something for the family that takes us shooting on Saturday mornings. So, I look through my brand-new cookbook with Dad, and we comment on recipes. Lo and behold, a Coffee Crumble Cake shows up. This is one of Dad's hands down favorite desserts, and I haven't yet been able to make one perfect for him. (i.e., identical to the ones bought at Starbucks) So I make this wonderful looking coffee cake, go for another run while it's baking, come home, and let it cool. Cut, put a few pieces on to a plate, and try a tiny tiny piece of one in the pan.

Sometimes, I suprise even my self. This coffee cake was light, fluffy, smoothe, and the crumble on top wasn't too crumbly, too try, nor excessively sweet. Just Wow.

Behold, a picture (albeit not a very good one):



Hopefully it will be just as good a night old.

And now, it's time for that shower, and then bed.

Next: A delicious Lemon Birthday Cake, and a Coconut Cake. (Plus the outcome of both of these.)

....Do we think I like cakes?

No comments:

Post a Comment