Saturday, December 11, 2010

"What are you doing??" -- "Uh... vegetables. I'm cooking the... vegetables?"

See!  I added more color to my repertoire!  So, mes chéris, I DO improve.  And, just guess what we've concocted up this time??



If you couldn't guess it from this picture, shame on you.  Granted, it is a Kitty-ized version (me), but still - Ratatouille has a distinct look!  (In case you weren't tipped off by the title  ;)


I know, I said I was going to bake this week.  Well, sorry, best laid plans didn't happen.  Maybe pumpkin fudge tomorrow afternoon, to take to work on Monday... and I KNOW I will be baking next weekend, as my blanched almond flour is supposed to arrive on Thursday.  I can't wait!  (For all you out there, blanched almond flour = macarons.)
Also, in my defense, I didn't cook much this week, either.  Dinner consisted of salads (much like the earlier post of my breakfast salad), and broiled tofu (it was good!  but not photo-worthy.  Marinated in soy sauce, a little seasame oil, and lemon juice.).  I was pleasantly surprised.  


But, back to this week.


I bought squash (green and yellow zucchini) again this week, because it was on sale, it had a bit more color than "green", and when I made it for Thanksgiving, it was good.  But, all I did was sauté it in a wok until it was nearly carmelized mush, and season with salt and pepper.  It WAS delicious carmelized mush, though.  

This time, because I was feeling more creative, and I had both gorgonzola and bleu cheese in my fridge, I decided to spice it up.  And, I do love the lovely animated movie, Ratatouille.  

I started with three small yellow and two green zucchini, and sliced them just as thin as I could without much endangering my non-existent manicure.  Now, I understand that Ratatouille is supposed to have tomatoes, too.  The problem being, I hate fresh tomatoes.  Ketchup, Pasta Sauce, even Sun-dried tomatoes I can handle.  Fresh ones, or even chunky Pasta Sauce?  No go.  Nasty, disgusting little things.  So, I used sun-dried instead, and treated them as an accent.    

Then came the head of garlic (Mother - I know, it was only a head; I restrained myself.  All others - really, a whole head isn't that much garlic.  Jake - case in point; I can't be a vampire.).

And, because I had three fresh lemons that were starting to age, I added half the juice of one lemon, and dusted with lemon-zest.  (I bought the lemons with the intent to use them in martini's.  Awesome reason, I know.)  

Next came the sprinkle of gorzonzola, a 1/2 tblsp of butter, salt and pepper, and voila.  

Tomorrow, after I come home from church, I will bake it at 350 until nice and tender, broil for a few minutes to give it a nice brown sheen, take a picture, and enjoy some of it for lunch.  I will post pictures.  


Isn't it pretty, though?



I think so.  I'll let you know how delicious it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment