Saturday, December 4, 2010

Cooking healthy - for One

Read: a carb-detox.




First, you will begin to notice a common trend here - everything starts with caffeine. In one form or another. This was caffeine fix #2 of the day.




Have I mentioned how much I love my Nespresso machine? Granted, one of my goals within the next month is to decrease my caffeine intake, but an Espresso Macchiato can never be substituted. This will always be a part of my weekend routine.




So, I have decided once again to get back to cooking. I know I've said this before - but I'm serious this time. Likely you will see a lot of vegetables, at least over the next month.




- Goal #1 - Eat better, and battle the carb-fest that is the holidays. And to get rid of these extra pounds and prevent future ones.


- Goal #2 - In proper Advent fashion, attempt to be a quasi-vegetarian and Alcohol-free, from now until Christmas. If you know me, this is harder than it sounds. I enjoy my Friday-night glass of wine (I don't drink during the week), and love my meat.


- Goal #3 - Build my basic cooking skills, to a point where I may actually drop $20 grand to go to Culinary school.






So, because last night was a carb frenzy (I finished the Thanksgiving Stuffing), breakfast today was a salad.






It's greens/dried-berries/gorgonzola/dried-tomato/merlot-raspberry-vinaigrette could only have been made better by diced prosciutto. Which is in my fridge next to the pancetta. See goal #2. T-21 days and counting.




I do love my camera, though.




And yes, to Goal #3, it may actually be a potential future option. I have every intention of FINDING THINGS TO DO IN TAMPA. It's going to start with Ballet again (read: under-optioned and overpriced), taking classes at University of Tampa (Finance and Marketing - I love numbers, but these are NOT my strong suits), volunteering at the Children's hospital (as a "Baby-holder" - I know, you're jealous - but it doesn't start until JANUARY), and trying to find serious cooking classes that jive with a full-time job (and don't require a second one to pay for).


Wish me luck.




Lunch today, with a future post and pictures - Cucumber herb salad.


Lunch tomorrow - Green beans with shallots and diced pancetta. Meat doesn't count on Sundays.

No comments:

Post a Comment